Some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, or end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

-Gilda Radner

Monday, July 12, 2010

Quote from Cabaret

This is not meant to be an inspirational quote by any means, but it I think it is a very interesting one:


I do believe a woman can't be a truly great actress
till she's had several passionate affairs...and had her heart broken.


{ sally bowles }


I randomly came across this quote today. I think it is true. Not that you have to have affairs to be a good actress, haha, but that those with more difficult life experiences (in this quote's case- severe heartbreak) are usually able to relate to characters on a much deeper level and therefore are better actors. And that is what I tell myself when I find that life is a little on the lame side. When something bad happens, I say, "Oh, well at least I understand this character from this musical better and can sing the song ___________ with a lot more real emotion now." It cheers me up.

1 comment:

mary plus vince said...

Bretleigh! Hi, it's Mary! I just found your blog through Laura's -- I'm so excited!

Anyway, I just wanted to say I totally agree about this. It's kind of funny, because when I played Eponine at BHS -- I was totally going through major heartbreak and was in a situation very similar to Eponine's. I dont think I have ever felt so connected to a character than when I played her.

I'm excited to read your blog!