Some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, or end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

-Gilda Radner

Saturday, November 19, 2011

MTC #8

Oh my goodness! Can I just say how much I love you guys?! I really have the greatest family and friends ever! The End. Mommy and Tutu, thanks for the package. Don't worry, I shared everything. Haha. Oh, and Mom, the Great Harvest Pumkin Bread was a huge hit! All of us Utahns freaked out over it! It was like the most exciting thing that has happened here! haha. And FYI, Elder Snelson says that he loves you. haha.
Since next Thursday is Thanksgiving, I don't know when I will be writing you next. I don't know what we are going to do about P-day. I get my travel plans tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to let you know about them and when I will be calling you. If no one is home when I call, maybe I will just leave a message and sing you a song or something. That would be fun! haha.

And also, I'm sorry if my spelling is bad. In the last couple of weeks, I've had the hardest time with spelling in English. Haha
So this week has been so wonderful! Here are some highlights:

Hermana Nelson and I taught our district Sunday school lesson. It was a really great experience. Also, every Sunday we have to prepare a talk in Spanish for sacrament meeting about a certain topic. Then, right after the Sacrament, they call two people up to give their talks. I was called up this week. Luckily, the topic was on the Atonement, and that is where I feel my Spanish is the best- when I'm talking about my Savior. I get really excited when I talk about Him.

Also, our district was in a workshop yesterday. All of the sudden, someone pulled Hermana Nelson and I out, and asked us if we would be willing to contact a referal. We said yes, but we were way confused. So the MTC hires actors, and has them be investigators. They wanted us to teach them for their audition. There was a camera in the room, recording the lesson. Our "referal" spoke Spanish, but the problem was that we hadn't brought any of our Spanish materials. We had no cheat sheets. It was really scary. We've always had time to prepare before lessons. But we hadn't known we would be called out of our workshop to teach! So we just went in their praying for the Spirit, and it actually turned out really well. The huge emphasis of our curriculum is to make sure each lesson is tailor-made for each investigator. They don't want us reciting memorized lessons. Our teachers always say that if you really listen to what the investigator is saying, they will practically tell you what you need to teach them. And that is exactly what happened. The Spirit was talking to us and telling us what we needed to teach her. It was awesome. I'm grateful for that experience, because now I know that even though my Spanish is poor, and even thought I'm just starting to be a missionary, if I am obedient and listen to the Spirit, people's hearts will be opened. It really is the Spirit that does all the work, I just need to make sure I'm focused on Christ, and living worthily of the Spirit. I guess I just realized that I really am a missionary, and that I really am able to recieve revelation for the people I teach. It's a very humbling realization.

Today, since it is the last time we will get to go to the temple, my district all went to a session together. In the celestial room, I found myself, once again, asking how I could leave people I love. Only this time, the people were my district. They are now some of my best friends. It's kind of harder in a way, because I know I will see my family all the time after my mission, but the chances I will have to see these people will be very few in number. I love my district. They would get along perfect with all of my friends at home. It's so weird! Anyway, we went to a session. Then, we ate breakfast at the temple (it's nice to not eat at the MTC cafeteria). We are just the cutest bunch of people! We are seriously best friends. And after we came out of the temple, Elder Dalton gave each of us a penny. He has a weird obsession with throwing pennies into fountains and making wishes. He made us all get in a circle around the fountain in front of the temple. Then he made us think of a wish, and then we all tossed our pennies at the same time. Retarded? Yes. But that really is how our district is. haha

Whoops! I have to go! I love you all! Have a great Thanksgiving!

No comments: