Some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, or end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

-Gilda Radner

Sunday, October 9, 2011

First Week in the MTC

I've been doing really well! I haven't really felt homesick at all. I think it's because I'm too busy to actually have a moment to think about you guys- sorry! haha. Mom, I think I have my camera cord. I will let you know though. Unpacking went smoothly, and I could find everything I need. I'm loving all of the notes I'm finding in my scriptures and the candy I've found in my backpack. You are so sweet Mommy! And pretty cheesy ;)

So one of the hosts that helped me get my bags was from Bountiful High! I can't remember his name, but he knew Caitlin and Taylor, so I immediately felt ok. Then a sister showed me my room and took me to get my badge and classroom books. Then she dropped me off at my class room and I met mi companera, Hermana Nelson. She is from Salem, Utah and her choir teacher was Justin Bills! She is so adorable, and we get along so well. She is really short and pretty quiet but we have a lot in common and we are both way chill so we haven't really had to adjust to each other much. Plus, she knows a lot of Spanish and helps me all of the time!

About ten minutes after I got to our classroom, class started- it was all in Spanish, unless we all had a really confused look on our faces. I guess they just started a new language program or something. I don't know how it used to be, but class is always in Spanish, and once we learn a word or sentence, we have to use it always and forget about the English word. So there is a lot of Spainglish going on haha it's way funny!

Our district has 8 Elders and 4 Hermanas. We are all going to Argentina! I am going to Neuquen with 2 Elders, and the rest are going to (I don't have a CLUE how to spell them) Recistencia or Bahia Blanca. It's a really great group of people. We all try very very hard to learn spanish, but our district is extremely ADD, and it gets out of hand sometimes. Like yesterday. One Elder, Elder Hoth, gets made fun of because of his Star Wars name. Everytime he comes in, they sing a Star Wars song or talk to him like Darth Vader. And during class they kept asking, "Como se dice 'Sith Lord'" and "Como se dice 'Light Saber'". It was pretty funny, although very distracting. I laugh a lot because, you know, I laugh at everything. The Elders definitely remind me of all of my friends, just like we thought would happen, and it is way hilarious.

I used up all of my Spanish in the first day. On Thursday, Hermana Nelson and I had an amazing companionship study. We barely knew each other, and we had to prepare a lesson for our investigator, Dominic (He's really a teacher here). At first, we had no idea what we were doing, but the Spirit came and really helped us, and we were amazed at how good we felt about our lesson. Friday wasn't as good. When we taught Dominic, it went in a different direction than we thought, and so we didn't know how to say anything because we had memorized certain sentences. But it's ok. Last night we learned how to pray in Spanish and bear our testimonies, so just knowing those things helps so much. Until the end of my mission, I have to only pray in Spanish, so that's kind of cool.

Gym yesterday was great! Hermana Nelson and I both feel self conscious about sports, so we went upstairs and rode the elipticals and stationary bikes and talked a lot and got to know each other better. It was nice to just chat without a big task in front of us.

Well I am out of time. Thank you for your emails Mom and Dad. And Bri, good luck with school. To the rest of the sibs, have fun in Oklahoma! I will pray that your opening night will go well! I know it will! You guys are so prepared!


Love you all!
Hermana Sandorf

No comments: