Some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, or end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

-Gilda Radner

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Are AP Classes Worth It?

This is the question I asked myself in the spring of 2007. I was a sophomore, and was trying to figure out whether I should take AP Calculus the following year. Unfortunately, I had run out of math classes to take, so an AP class was my only option. I dreaded my Junior year; I knew that there was no way I would enjoy Calc. And guess what? I hated it!!! I have never been fond of math, and having it for two class periods was torture. Not to mention, I learned a bunch of complicated stuff that I would never be able to use in my life. It was pretty miserable.

In April, it was time to start reviewing for the AP Calc test. One day, my CE U.S. Hisory teacher asked me to take the AP History test. Because CE is a college course he thought that I could pass the AP exam if I studied. Our history class had only gotten to the 1960s, so I would have to studie the next forty years on my own. Completely delusional (probably from Calculus), I accepted.

Studying was awful. I am the kind of person who can easily get an A on a test without ever studying. So it was really hard for me to focus and spend time each day reviewing outside of school. (I never studied the Vietnam war; I didn't feel like it).

On May 7, 2008 I took the AP Calc Exam. Afterwards, my mom let me ditch school and took me out to Firehouse Pizza for lunch. It was a glorious day. I was sure I passed the test, and I didn't have to take math as a Senior!

On May 9, 2008 I took the AP US History Exam. I did okay on the multiple choice. But guess what the DBQ essay was on? Vietnam!!! I was so mad at myself that what I wrote probably didn't make much sense. Luckily, the other two essays were great because I actually knew what I was writting about. I left the testing room with a sense of doom following me. What a waste of time that was!

However miserable I felt, it was easily forgotten by the next day as I prepared for summer to start.

On July 11, 2008 the College Board mailed me my results. I almost peed my pants opening the letter. It said:
Caclulus AB: 4
US History: 3

Hallelujah!!! What a splendid day!

Back to my original question: I now think that AP classes are worth it. I recieved 12 college credits for the cost of $160. And, I found out I don't have to take math in college!!!!!! That is what makes me happiest of all!

So, if you are a scholarly sort of chap, I highly recommend AP Tests. You will be so glad you took them!

No comments: