Some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, or end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

-Gilda Radner

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Bomb Threat and How it Ruined Peoples' Lives

I work at Dick's Market in Centerville. I work in the Bakery. It is a good job; I can get time off when I need to, and I only have to work two days a week. It has been great for school and summer vacations. Another great thing about it is that it is right next to Rodgers Memorial Theatre, one of my favorite places on earth. That is the place where I started musicals. I have been performing there since I was eleven. I have made so many friends there. I absolutely love RMT!



So, RMT was putting on Footloose from June 20 - July 19. A bunch of my friends and aquaintances were in the show. I wanted to see it so bad, but I was too busy to go and see it. Then I found out it was completely sold out! I was so sad! But then they added on a Matinee for Saturday July 19th at 2:30, and I bought tickets for that show right away.

I went to work and found out that I was scheduled to work Saturday July 19th at 2:00! I begged my boss, Kevan, to let me go! He said I could go If I came to work after the show was over. So I planned on doing just that.

The 19th arrived and I went to see Footloose. It started off absolutely fantastic! No wonder it had sold out so fast! Right as Ariel started singing "Holding Out For A Hero", the music died an announcement came on and said "Cast members and audience, an emergency situation has come up and we need you to leave immediately and walk down to Deseret Industries. Stay Calm".

So we all left. Outside Dick's parking lot, there were a bunch of police cars. The whole road was blocked and no one was allowed to get to their cars. Someone had called the police saying there was a bomb at Dick's Market.

I caught up with Dani, one of my best friends. She was in the show and she looked so sad. Other cast members were crying! I realized that this was this cast's closing show!!! How horrible to start a show you will never finish. And then I realized that I would never get to see all of the musical! It had been so amazing and I only saw a third of it.

Since we had had to leave immediately, the cast was in their costumes. The had no keys or cell phones or anything. It was horrible. My dad came and picked us up outside of an Arctic Circle a little ways away. He gave some people who couldn't get to their cars a ride home. Dani and our friend, Morgan, went to my house since I didn't have to go in to work.

At 5:45 Dani called her mom and found out that the bomb that the police found in the Ice Box had been a fake. It had been filled with string cheese. I was so mad! How could people pull such an awful prank? They have no idea how they ruined Footloose!

Unless you have been in shows, you have no idea how close you become in a show and how important it becomes in your life. You need a fabulous closing show to give you some sense of closure. It makes the withdrawal almost bearable. This is the worst ending of a show ever! I feel so bad!
The picture is after one of mine and Morgan's performances. From left to right: Mandy, Dani, Morgan, Alli and Me.

1 comment:

Awkward Mormon Girl said...

Dear Bretleigh,
Please post more on your blog. You promised that if I started a blog you would too but you never write in it.