Some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, or end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

-Gilda Radner

Monday, December 14, 2009

My Favorite Quote

My favorite quote is on my blog somewhere, but I just wanted to talk about what it means to me. I'm not always very good at following Viktor Frankl's inspiring words:

"The last freedom of all is to choose one's attitude in a given set of circumstances."

In sixth grade, my teacher, Mrs. Daines would have us memorize a quote each week. This is the one that I have always remembered.

Viktor Frankl was in a concentration camp during the Holocaust. Literally everything was taken away from the people there- even their names. Mr. Frankl paid attention to the people who were dying and who remained living. He noticed that the people who were still living through these horrible, evil circumstances were people who chose to have a good attitude and just deal with what they were given instead of complaining and cursing God all the time. He realized that even though he had absolutely nothing in the world, he still had the right to choose his own attitude and how he was going to handle his trials.

I try to live by these words and always choose to have a good attitude no matter what is happening to me. As you can probably tell, I fail most of the time. And I haven't even had the horrific trials that others go through. But, as long as I am always improving, it will be ok.

I love that quote a lot.

No comments: