Some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, or end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

-Gilda Radner

Friday, November 12, 2010

I'm Thankful For: Jefferson and Aticus

A few minutes ago, I was just overwhelmed with gratitude for these two brilliant Music Theorists. I was looking at my current Music Theory III grade, and I have at least 99% on every single assignment and test. Wow.

What's even more suprising is the fact that during my senior year, I was terrible at music theory. Really. I took the class to learn more about music, but everyone one else in the class had much deeper music backgrounds than I had. I was definitely not prepared for the class. I should have droppped out, but I didn't.

I sat between Aticus and Jefferson the whole entire year, and they were the smartest in the class. I had no clue what was going on 95% of the time, and instead of saying, "You're so stupid-just give up" (Although they probably thought it all of the time!), they would help me until I understood. I should never have passed that class, but with their help I got "A"s. And, in college when I took the test to determine if I could go into the Theory class I wanted, I passed with flying colors! And it's been great ever since! I don't catch on to the concepts very quickly, but eventually it clicks and I am able to analyze or write music correctly.

I would never in a million years be able to be a music major without the help and encouragement of these two. Seriously. Their help in A.P. Music Theory changed my life. And I am so Grateful.

2 comments:

Jefferson Campbell said...

Six years ago I never would have imagined to ever have seen these words come from you. Haha, it is funny. :) But, in all honesty, I am deeply touched.

Thank you so much, Bretleigh. :) I was FAR from smartest in that class, but if you want to remember me as such, I won't complain. :) Really, this post means a lot to me. Even when I don't think I'm doing anything special, it's always nice to know when a life has been touched as a result of what I have done. Thank you so much, Bretleigh. You are the greatest. :) :)

Jefferson Campbell said...

PS. I have a friend who goes to college with Aticus, and I saw her today. The first way she chose to describe him:

"Aticus has the face of a cherub."

HAHAHAHA. I thought you might enjoy that.