Some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, or end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

-Gilda Radner

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Argentina #2

Hola mi familia! I am in week 3 of my first transfer. I´m not gonna lie, this has been a horrible week for me. But it has also been wonderful. Let me explain:
My companion, Hna. Arcos, is great! She is helping me learn Castellano super fast. I´m at the point where I can understand about 1/4 of what people say. Having only been here 10 days, that´s pretty good, I think! But It´s been difficult because I went from having 11 best friends that I talked and laughed with all day long, to not being able to talk to anyone because no one knows English. I have just felt very lonely this week. Also, Pico Truncado is gross. It is so windy, and so dusty. I feel gross all of the time. And, there are stray dogs EVERYWHERE!!! Ew ew ew! And, we eat lunch with a member family everyday. We always are served greasy empanadas or greasy pizza. We are also always served soda. I have never drunken so much soda in my life. They drink orange Fanta, Sprite, and Apple soda with EVERYTHING! And then for dessert, they feed us fruit cake. I am going to be a billion pounds! Ugh.
But despite all of these things that I do not like, there have been many blessings. My teachers in the MTC always said that missions cause you to rely more on Jesus Christ. That has definitely happened this last week. I had no one to talk to, and so I spent a lot of time praying. I have turned to the scriptures even more, because they are the only familiar thing I have. Also, although it has been difficult not being able to speak English, I can already see the blessings. I am learning Castellano so much faster than those with companions from the U.S. Also, I love the people here. I have no idea how they are content with their 4-room houses, with clothes that don´t match, and with dust everywhere, but they are. And I am learning what a blessed life I have led. I have already known that, of course, but now I know it even more. This is such a humbling experience. I am so happy to be here.
We are working with the best family. We are so close to them. Their baptismal date is for the 24 of Dec. But they have to get married first. They decided on the 20, but now the Grandma can´t make it to Pico Truncado until January. We are all praying for a miracle.
Don´t worry a ton about me. I´ve been a little discouraged, but that´s ok. The trials I have had in life always bring me closer to the Savior. I knew that it was going to be hard when I decided to go on a mission. I won´t ever give up. I know why I am here.
I love you all so so so so much! Sorry, but I am barely writing individual letters to people anymore. It´s way too complicated, and I don´t have a ton of time on pdays like I did in the MTC. I´m glad to hear of the miracles in West Bountiful. Our ward is so awesome! Tell everyone Hi from me!
I know that this Church is true. I know that Jesus Christ lives, and that through Him we can overcome everything.
Have a great week!
Love,
Hna. Bretleigh Sandorf

No comments: